Archive for April 5th, 2010
The phenomenon growth of social networking services/sites (SNSs) in recent years speaks to one of the defining features of Web 2.0 – the social web. Today, social networking is very popular and digital native students already found social networking services integral to their daily life. Many recent studies including my previous study indicate that social networking could be used in education to enhance students’ learning experiences and promote classroom communities of practice.
Approximately a year ago, Dr. Hsiu-Ting Hung and I conducted an exploratory study on the use of social networking technology to facilitate teaching and learning in the college classroom. Our study set out to examine three regularly-scheduled courses at two public universities in Taiwan. Adopting the situated learning theory as the conceptual framework, our study attempted to answer two research questions: (1) What are students’ experiences with and views on the use of social networking sites in the courses under investigation? (2) What is the impact of using social networking sites to supplement face-to-face courses on students’ perceived sense of classroom community?
The findings of this study were presented at the 2010 SITE (Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education) International Conference in San Diego last week. Overall, the results indicated that the majority of the students held positive attitudes towards the use of class social networks as a means to strengthen their connectedness among class members. Social networking in the observed classrooms was found helpful for promoting classroom communities of practice. For more information about our study, please view the presentation shown below. We welcome comments and suggestions. Thanks.
About…I am Dr. Steve Yuen, a professor of Instructional Technology at The University of Southern Mississippi. This is my personal blog on the use of emerging technologies in teaching and learning.
Hope you find this blog interesting, stimulating, and educational. Please feel free to social bookmark this page.
Share This Blog
- 21st Century Education
- Augmented Reality
- Collaboration Tools
- E-Learning 2.0
- Educational Research
- Educational Technology
- Future Technology
- How To
- Mobile Learning
- Mobile Technology
- Mobile Web
- Mobile Web Design
- Online Testing
- Open Social
- Open Source
- School 2.0
- Search Tools
- Second Life
- Social Media
- Social Networking
- Software Tools
- Technology Integration
- Virtual World
- Web 2.0
- Web 3.0
- Web Accessibility
- Web Conferencing
- Web Design
- Web-Based Instruction
Tag Cloud2010 Android apps AR augmented bookmarks books classroom collaboration college community conference conferencing converter course design digital natives Diigo E-Learning e-learning 2.0 editing editor education free future Google graphics guide infographics internet ipad iphone ipod itouch learning links media mobile mobile devices Multimedia networking networks online open Open Source PDF Podcasting publish Publishing reality report research schools search share sharing SNS social Social Networking software statistics storage students teachers teaching technology tool tools trends Twitter video web Web 2.0 web2.0 youtube
- 159,914 hits
- Integrating Screen-Capture Based Instructional Videos into Instruction
- Why Banning Mobile Devices in Schools?
- Teachers’ Use and Perceptions of Web 2.0 Technologies in Teaching and Learning
- The Top 50 Proprietary Programs vs Their Open Source Alternatives
- Web 3.0
- Free Online Mind Mapping Tools
Web Designing Chenna… on 15 Must Have Web Tools for… Brad Wallace on Teachers’ Use and Perceptions… Steve Yuen on Handbook of Research on Practi… mbelchior on Handbook of Research on Practi… Ryan on 3D Augmented Reality Book…
Dr. Steve Yuen
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen Stories via @ubergizmo @twitt_AR @Dr_Samuel_Conn - 10 hours ago
- The 10 Most Popular Free Online Courses For eLearning Professionals - eLearning Industry | @scoopit sco.lt/9HVvzl - 1 day ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen Stories via @onlinetools @michaelmgrant - 1 day ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen Stories via @tomokko0427 @ITJil - 2 days ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen Stories via @mrxibis - 3 days ago
- The 10 Most Popular Free Online Courses For eLearning Professionals - eLearning Industry December 17, 2014
- Tips For Measuring Online Training Results - eLearning Industry December 14, 2014
- 20 Free Tools for Making Comics and Cartoons for Teaching and Learning December 12, 2014
- 9 Tips To Improve Online Learners’ Engagement - eLearning Industry December 11, 2014
- The British Museum: five lessons in augmented reality | Econsultancy December 4, 2014
Books Recently Published
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- Share Alike 3.0 United States License.