Archive for April 5th, 2010
The phenomenon growth of social networking services/sites (SNSs) in recent years speaks to one of the defining features of Web 2.0 – the social web. Today, social networking is very popular and digital native students already found social networking services integral to their daily life. Many recent studies including my previous study indicate that social networking could be used in education to enhance students’ learning experiences and promote classroom communities of practice.
Approximately a year ago, Dr. Hsiu-Ting Hung and I conducted an exploratory study on the use of social networking technology to facilitate teaching and learning in the college classroom. Our study set out to examine three regularly-scheduled courses at two public universities in Taiwan. Adopting the situated learning theory as the conceptual framework, our study attempted to answer two research questions: (1) What are students’ experiences with and views on the use of social networking sites in the courses under investigation? (2) What is the impact of using social networking sites to supplement face-to-face courses on students’ perceived sense of classroom community?
The findings of this study were presented at the 2010 SITE (Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education) International Conference in San Diego last week. Overall, the results indicated that the majority of the students held positive attitudes towards the use of class social networks as a means to strengthen their connectedness among class members. Social networking in the observed classrooms was found helpful for promoting classroom communities of practice. For more information about our study, please view the presentation shown below. We welcome comments and suggestions. Thanks.
About…I am Dr. Steve Yuen, a professor of Instructional Technology at The University of Southern Mississippi. This is my personal blog on the use of emerging technologies in teaching and learning.
Hope you find this blog interesting, stimulating, and educational. Please feel free to social bookmark this page.
Share This Blog
- 21st Century Education
- Augmented Reality
- Collaboration Tools
- E-Learning 2.0
- Educational Research
- Educational Technology
- Future Technology
- How To
- Mobile Learning
- Mobile Technology
- Mobile Web
- Mobile Web Design
- Online Testing
- Open Social
- Open Source
- School 2.0
- Search Tools
- Second Life
- Social Media
- Social Networking
- Software Tools
- Technology Integration
- Virtual World
- Web 2.0
- Web 3.0
- Web Accessibility
- Web Conferencing
- Web Design
- Web-Based Instruction
Tag Cloud2010 Android apps AR augmented bookmarks books classroom collaboration college community conference conferencing converter course design digital natives Diigo E-Learning e-learning 2.0 editing editor education free future Google graphics guide infographics internet ipad iphone ipod itouch learning links media mobile mobile devices Multimedia networking networks online open Open Source PDF Podcasting publish Publishing reality report research schools search share sharing SNS social Social Networking software statistics storage students teachers teaching technology tool tools trends Twitter video web Web 2.0 web2.0 youtube
- 160,807 hits
- Why Banning Mobile Devices in Schools?
- Great Web 2.0 Applications for Business Education Teachers
- PDF Hammer
- iPod in Education
- Create Free Online Quizzes with ClassMarker
- Ptable.com : The Dynamic Periodic Table
- Cell Phone Learning Support System (CPLSS)
- E-Learning Handbook and Top 100 Tools for Learning
- Best of the Free Technology Tools for Teachers
- Google Voice
Web Designing Chenna… on 15 Must Have Web Tools for… Brad Wallace on Teachers’ Use and Perceptions… Steve Yuen on Handbook of Research on Practi… mbelchior on Handbook of Research on Practi… Ryan on 3D Augmented Reality Book…
Dr. Steve Yuen
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Helping Learners Get The Most Out Of Online Discussions - eLearning Industry | @scoopit sco.lt/5nxpYX - 5 hours ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen - 8 hours ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen - 1 day ago
- Thoughts on Open | @scoopit sco.lt/4nbL05 - 2 days ago
- The Steve Yuen Daily is out! paper.li/scyuen Stories via @ubergizmo @ISTE_MLN - 2 days ago
- Helping Learners Get The Most Out Of Online Discussions - eLearning Industry March 2, 2015
- WizIQ Recordor: Create, Share Powerful Video Lectures for Flipped Classroom February 3, 2015
- Kleinspiration: The Best E-Book Yet: 40Must-know Web 2.0 Edutools January 28, 2015
- Disruptive Technology: mLearning In 2015 - eLearning Industry January 24, 2015
- 7 Free Audio Editors for E-Learning Courses January 20, 2015
Books Recently Published
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- Share Alike 3.0 United States License.